Even in prosperous times, golf course superintendents have a lot on their plates. It’s a competitive, complex field. You’ve got turf grass management, pest control, water reduction (perhaps mandated), and an irritating influx of Canada Geese on your mind. Then, there’s maintenance, financial management, customer relations, employee hiring and training, marketing- and in these tough times, cost reduction.
Spending hours every week creating an employee schedule and monitoring attendance is the last thing you want-though a streamlined schedule may be the first thing you need.
Most superintendents agree, scheduling employees for a golf course can be a headache. You’ve got to juggle employees with a wide range of skill sets, varying availabilities, part-time schedules, accrued PTO, time-off and shift swap requests, and your course’s busy times. It’s mind-numbingly tedious work-tracking down staff with the appropriate expertise to accommodate shift swaps or cover for time-off requests, juggling the schedule to find the most efficient use of staff without compromising coverage, and trying to consider alternative schedules without investing too many more hours into the process. Additionally, you may find it necessary to monitor attendance to prevent punch-in abuses or unnecessary overtime.
Once the schedule is done, you’ve still got work to do: communicate the schedule to all the employees, field endless inquiries about next week’s schedule (or worse, scrambling to fill a missed shift due to confusion over schedules), and occasionally you’ll do the entire thing over again to accommodate an unexpected shift swap, illness, or time off request, and then communicate the changes to all the employees-again!
It’s tedious, but it’s important. Under-schedule and you could lose golfers. Over-schedule and you could lose profits.
Luckily, there are tools that can help streamline this time-sink. TimeForge can cut your employee scheduling time from hours to minutes. Really!
TimeForge won’t just save you time, TimeForge can save you money in a myriad of ways. For example, you can quickly determine the periods or times that your cart barn is overstaffed and easily schedule to more closely align with your actual needs, cutting labor costs. You can schedule your most experienced employees during your busiest periods to reduce complaints and backlogs without over-staffing. You can keep an eye on attendance (on-site or remotely) in order to curb time clock abuse and reduce overtime. You can monitor labor costs in real-time, and forecast your future costs and staff requirements. It all adds up: TimeForge can increase course profits by 3-5%.
With TimeForge, you can:
- Create employee schedules in minutes-even with multiple locations, employees with varying availability, certification, and skill sets.
- Export payroll to many popular payroll providers with a single click.
- Inform employees of schedules or schedule changes by text message or email-eliminating employee confusion and missed shifts.
- Approve shift swaps, review employee requests for time off, review important daily occurrences, and monitor employees on the clock either on site or remotely, through the TimeForge website, a Smartphone (such as a Blackberry or iPhone), and even through a Facebook account.
- Stop employees from clocking in before the shift starts or after the shift ends or punching in friends to help reduce labor costs.
- Record important information from one manager’s shift to another.
- Provide remote access for employees to view work schedules, review time cards, request time off, change work availability, swap shifts with other staff members, and receive daily schedule alerts via email or text messages.
- Manage and forecast labor costs to decrease costs and increase profits.
TimeForge is an essential (and easy-to-use) labor management software for golf courses, but if you are still not convinced, read what TimeForge users are saying here.