Manual restaurant scheduling involves organization, time, and patience. Restaurant scheduling may be done by pen-and-paper or through a spreadsheet on a computer program like Microsoft Excel.
With manual restaurant scheduling, it is important to stay organized. You will need a scheduling request book that is accessible to all. You must record all substitutions and shift swaps. Also, you need to make sure your employees are aware of upcoming shifts.
Here are the steps to create a restaurant schedule:
- Separate columns by name, job title/description, calculation of hours worked, and the day of the week in the last column.
- Job descriptions should include the corresponding section each employee would be working in.
- Compute the hours for each persons shift and make sure your schedule has crossovers just in case people may be late for shifts.
- Do not repeat schedules each week because not all your employees will be available everyday or have the same availability. Make things on your schedule stand out by highlighting them on your spreadsheet or graph. Block times where your employees will be gone to prevent overlapping or under staffing.
- Have a request book where employees may input personal requests. Make adjustments by weighing the most important ones.
- Track each employee’s total number of hours worked. This way it will be easier for you to make adjustments. Organize the times of your day that you will need more employees or less. Proper level of service for each work shift should be spot on. Take into account holidays, summertime, private parties, special occasions, or outside events that would affect your restaurant scheduling. Take note of busy and slow hours within the day to have enough coverage.
- Provide a staff phone list to improve communication between the labor work force and the employer.
If you think manual restaurant scheduling is too complicated or time consuming, you should purchase a restaurant scheduling software.
Restaurant scheduling software helps improve customer dining experience, reduces scheduling time, and helps you utilize your staff more efficiently. With a restaurant schedule software, managing shifts, overall tasks, and schedules will be easier.
Sign up for a free trial now!